Canadian Experience

Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

Temporary Foreign Workers and Students who graduated with a Canadian educational credential, often have the qualities to make a successful transition from temporary to permanent resident status in Canada. They are familiar with Canadian society and can contribute to the Canadian economy.

Applications for Permanent Residence under the Canadian Experience Class can be submitted by:

  1. Temporary foreign workers; or
  2. Foreign graduates with a Canadian educational credential.

In addition, applicants must have work experience in a managerial, professional, skilled trade or technical occupation.

All applicants must have:

  • temporary resident status during their qualifying period of work experience and any period of full-time study or training in Canada,
  • work experience in occupations that meet the minimum requirements for workers with Skill Type 0, or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupation Classification (NOC),
  • must have the qualifying work and study experience needed at the time the application is made,
  • knowledge of English or French (speaking, reading, listening and writing),
  • not engaged in work or attended school without authorization,
  • not remained in Canada after the time authorized to do so has expired,
  • not been found inadmissible to Canada on grounds such as health or security.

Applicants must also have:

Temporary Foreign Workers:

  • 24 months of work Experience within the last 36 months.


  • 12 months of qualifying work Experience within the last 24 months.
  • graduated from a recognized post-secondary educational institution and obtained the necessary Canadian educational credential.